The WMDA functions as an influential association and as such, the Pillar Supporting Global Development has the following objectives at its core:
- Contribute to the availability, quality, safety and cost-effectiveness of the volunteer donors for patients in need of a transplant by developing and maintaining an efficient and strong collaboration amongst WMDA members.
- Assisting WMDA members in continually improving their performance, guided by scientific and ethical principles, ultimately benefiting the donors and patients they serve.
- Raising public and professional awareness about voluntary and non-remunerated donation through the organisation of an annual event known as World Marrow Donor Day.
To accomplish these goals, the leadership of this pillar actively supports WMDA members by promoting collaboration, engaging in regulatory affairs, advocating for best practices, and facilitating the exchange of information and knowledge. The pillar’s oversight is carried out by four committees:
- Registry Operations & Regulation
- Cord Blood Operations
- Donor Recruitment & Retention
Supporting Global Development
- A pathway for new and emerging organisations in the field of voluntary stem cell donation
- Online Education
- A handbook
- A monthly newsletter
- An online platform for international communication and collaboration
- Several forms of membership
- An online database which lists over 41 million voluntary stem cell donors and cord blood units, where hematologists and transplant centers can search to find the best stem cell source for their patients
- International meetings and conferences where latest scientific developments and best practices are shared to further innovate our services for the benefit of donors and patients worldwide
- An Accreditation program for members to guarantee a high level of performance
Are you, or is your organisation interested to benefit from these services? Look into the different memberships we offer (Become a member | WMDA) and be sure to read more about our pathway for new and emerging organisations: New & Emerging Registries pathway | WMDA.
New and emerging organisations
Registry Operations & Quality
Cord Blood Operations
Donor Recruitment & Donor Retention
- Share experience on how to develop and maintain a stable and healthy donor population
- Actively thank donors annually by organising World Marrow Donor Day
- Connect globally in challenging situations to be able to communicate transparent to donors
Interested to sign up?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
World Marrow Donor Day - WMDD
Read more about WMDD on the special event website: 16 September is World Marrow Donor Day – World Marrow Donor Day